READ THIS BEFORE APPLYING
The deadline to apply is end-of-day, Friday, July 21, 2017, however we encourage earlier applications. Applicants will hear back from us at the latest July 31, 2017.
The EGSA-AÉDÉ Mentorship Program is structured differently than most mentorship programs.
The EGSA-AÉDÉ Mentorship Program is a team-based approach to mentoring incoming graduate students, focusing on helping new students access resources and navigate processes and procedures that they may encounter at the University of Ottawa:
- If accepted, you will be assigned to a team with 1-2 other mentors
- You will be granted access to a shared e-mail inbox that is to be used for any business related to the Mentorship Program
- Each team is assigned a segment of the incoming student population
- We try our best to match programs, streams, and student segments, however you may be assigned students outside of your own stream (likely) and program (less likely)
- Each team is responsible for checking in (by mass e-mail) with their assigned students once every two weeks
- Each team is also responsible for triaging any questions from their assigned student segment, ensuring that questions are either answered or forwarded in a timely manner
You are committing an average of approximately 1.5 hours of effort per week. This should cover any time spent checking the shared inbox, preparing and sending the bi-weekly check-in e-mails, and any other Mentorship Program related tasks that may arise.
- The time commitment depends heavily on the activity from the incoming students
- The Mentorship Program Leadership Team periodically re-evaluates workload for mentors and may shift mentors to different teams to balance out need
- The Mentorship Program runs for the Fall and Winter sessions of the Academic Year
Your role as a mentor is what you make of it. Some of our greatest success for the 2016-2017 Mentorship Program were as a result of mentors taking initiative and going well beyond the base level of commitment.
Apply below to help to join us in building a welcoming student community!